Friday, November 14, 2008

Your Family Tree


I'm not sure why, but a couple of years ago I became interested in find out about my family tree. In order to do so, it seems that the best website out there is Ancestry.com.


This site is expensive. I have been paying $19.95 per month for quite awhile. There are times when I hit too many dead ends so I quit for months at a time...but I don't stop paying. They get you hooked pretty quickly. After all...you don't want to lose all that work.


Ancestry.com has access to public documents like Census, Marriage, Birth and Death records etc. In addition, you get to take advantage of the work that others have done. Once you find out that your people just happen to intersect with other family trees, well that is when the fun begins. Ancestry will help you hook their work to your tree.


At any rate, it does help to have last names and maiden names of as many of the ancestors as possible. Otherwise you can confuse Margaret Jane Miller with Margaret Josephine Miller...etc.


Give them a try.

No comments: