Friday, January 8, 2010

Resolutions: January-Find some shoes that don't kill my funky feet.

UPDATE: 2/17/10 A nice person from Kuru, Nate, just commented on my shoe journey. That reminded me that I never completed the update. What a long strange trip it's been.

I finally settled on the Keen Emily style you see below. The great arch support, leather insoles and nice wide toe box makes me forget they are sized strangely. I went back to the 8.5 because the 9's were like boats on my feet. I ended up getting them in both the brown below and black. So far so good. There is a toe issue in that they touch ever so slightly on my middle toe, but I've gotten used to it. After the Zappos journey of the 30 some odd shoes, I just couldn't find absolute perfection. These were the closest I found. I also got a couple of pairs of Keen sandals. The Keen Venice in Black and Keen Venice H2 in Blue and Black. Both are washable and protect my toes.






I also purchased a couple of Dansko slide sandals for summer. I'll save room by not posting pictures and just give you links: Dansko Marion in Tan and Dansko Sunny in Black . Since it is winter, I haven't been able to wear the sandals yet but I think I'll be fine. I better be for the price! I tried some of the clogs from Dansko and Sanita and I found them very uncomfortable. I'm going to try Klogs USA because I've heard great things about them. But I have to financially recover from this adventure.


Now I still had to find some athletic shoes of some sort so I could actually go for a walk without bending over in pain. I went through every major brand of hiking shoe with no luck and finally I had to leave Zappos for this journey. I knew that New Balance ran wide and you could buy them in wide as well. Well, I just went to the New Balance Store in Green Hills Mall and let them help me. Best thing I ever did. Told the sweet guy all my ailments and he fixed me up. So far, no more shin splints and my bunions seem happy on a walk. Both are milestones for this chubby girl! The shoe I chose was PRICEY $136 to be exact. But I don't care....they work.


New Balance WR1012 Running shoe has "Motion Control" which in layman's terms means it has extra stabilizers (Stabilicore) on the inside sole that helps limit over pronation. Plus, I could get them in a wide. They come up higher on my ankle than my other running shoes never did. Gives me a little extra ankle support without being too cumbersome. They also have these great "wavy" shoe laces that eliminate the need to double tie your shoes. Whoever invented those was a genius!




So, I'm now broke, but my feet are covered. So far so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because these suckers have to last me awhile to make up for the hefty price tag on all of them. It took me most of January and in to February to complete the task...but I'm done. Walk on my friends.

UPDATE: 01/13/10 Strike that 1/2 size thing on Keen. If you ever want to buy Keen shoes, go up one complete size. I found some that were even closer, but too short. This last trip to the UPS store will make about 12 pairs of shoes I've returned. But Zappos' free shipping both ways, makes it much easier. I am determined to find a shoe that fits. I just ordered 3 different colors of the Keen shoe in 1 size up because it was just about perfect. Impulsive, yes...but I figured if I find a style and size that works...I'm getting it in every color. I'll keep you posted on the "Emily" style when it comes in the right size. I can honestly say, I'm tired of shoe shopping. Just to be sure, I also ordered 5 pairs of shoes from 5 other manufacturers. I'm on a mission.






UPDATE: 01/12/10 Received my order from Zappos.com which contained the Naot and Keen shoes. Still waiting for the Kurus.





Keen shoes run 1/2 to a full size smaller than advertised. Keep that in mind if you ever order them. The shoes that came in, were to short, too narrow and very stiff. They would rub my feet in places I forgot I had. I mean that in a bad way. So back in the box they went.





Naot shoes...now those have promise. Unfortunately, this style, although it was SO close to working, didn't quite make it. The only complaint I had was that there was a seam in just the wrong place, right across the bunion of my right foot. This made it impossible for me to keep them. I knew they would not last long before I had to rip them off my feet and run to house slippers. No need to spend that kind of money if I can't wear them everyday. So back in the box they went.





I ordered some more from Zappos. Now I'm giving this a determination I should give a good workout. I WILL find some comfortable shoes if it "Harelips the Governor" as my grandmother used to say. Stay tuned....


_________





If I'm going to have any chance at all to possibly making 2010 a healthier year for myself, I decided one of the first things I have to do is find some footwear that won't cripple me. I have a closet full of shoes that either make my feet smell, are too tight, are too worn out, make my heels hurt, make my bunions ache even more and my Plantar fasciitis act up, yada, yada, yada. It is official, I have now become my mother....only with feet that even she's not sure which gene pool would claim them. That's right I now HAVE to have comfortable shoes. To hell with cute, fashionable or even, dare I say, inexpensive. Years of shoving these puppies into high heeled pumps and putting them through torture with my additional gravity pull (i.e. fat ass) have put my overall orthopedic health in jeopardy. Witness past entries of my falls, sprains and surgeries of the official 2008-2009 "Help, I've Fallen And I Can't Get Up" season. That is a REAL sports phenomenon and soon to be Olympic Event you know...really it is!




I realized that my very expensive Nike running/walking shoes that I've been wearing for several years (I've been through a few pairs now) just aren't cutting it anymore. I don't know why. I can't even seem to walk 1 mile without either my feet aching or having incredible shin splints. It really makes it hard for a chubby girl to get in shape when she can't even walk 1 mile without excruciating pain. I'm not exaggerating there. I have to stop and try to talk to my feet and legs to make them cooperate. Then, I just walk with the pain. I keep telling myself it will get better by mile 2. Nope, by the time I return from my sojourn, I'm worn out. Completely exhausted from just 2 miles! Ridiculous. There has to be a reason other than my additional weight. I know my age, 47, and my extra heft could account for some of the pain, but I don't think it is all the problem.





I started hitting the stores shortly after Christmas. No luck. So, what's a girl who owns an Internet based business to do in the face of a comfortable shoe shortage? Zappos.com. My Lawd...they have just about every shoe ever made on that site. What is wonderful, you can buy them with free shipping, no sales tax (in TN anyway) and FREE RETURN SHIPPING! What's not to love about that. I gave it a whirl. Ordered 3 pairs of Clark's shoes in the "UN-Structured" line trying to find a loafer that would work as an everyday shoe. They were lovely, well made and pricey, but not one of them worked. So I packed them up and took them to the UPS store today. Off they go. But I'm not giving up on Zappos.com. I'm going to give them another try. I never thought buying shoes on the Internet was a good idea, but I have to do something. And Zappos.com is doing well, so there must be a bunch of other people who did the same thing.





The last few days I've been reading reviews for all kinds of shoes. I love the Internet. All you ever wanted to know is at your fingertips everyday. What a beautiful thing. I've learned about brands of shoes that I never knew existed. This time I have ordered a pair of NAOT shoes, a pair of KEEN shoes and a pair of KURU hiking/walking shoes. The Naot and Keens I ordered from Zappos.com but the Kurus I had to order directly from them at KuruFootwear.com. I read most every review for every shoe trying to figure out if it was wide enough, what were the flaws, will they hold up and do people love Zappos? I find the reviews VERY helpful. So I participated and wrote reviews for the shoes I returned. I was nice, but honest. I think that is the point of reviews.





Here are some pictures:




NAOT












KEEN









KURU






With the exception of those bright orange/red Kurus, the shoes look "sensible". And even those are "sensible" albeit bright. Yes, if they work, I will fit in really well at the next Lilith Fair or Indigo Girls Concert. Fine with me. I'm a breeder who loves her some "Girls in Sensible Shoes".





I'll get back to you all when I get them. Zappos.com sends them out quickly and even though they advertise 5 days, you usually get them within a day or two. We'll see how quick the Kurus get here.

No comments: