Friday, December 25, 2009

Holiday Hermits Part Deux - The Tree


There is this tree here in Nashville. A Dogwood. Every year the owners would light the tree to a magnificent splendor. The owners decided to sell the house. When I saw the "For Sale" sign go up in the yard I was heartbroken. Would the new owners relight the tree for the next Holiday Season?

Spring came and the Dogwood bloomed. The blooms fell and the leaves grew. The "For Sale" sign left the yard and the new owners moved in. But if you look closely as you drive by on that busy street, you'll see the sun's light casting a glimmer of the lights(unlit)woven on to the branches of the tree. There was hope.

I noticed as Spring moved into Summer that the Dogwood was looking a little droopy on one side. I noticed that the leaves never grew on one side of the tree. I surmised that the lights that I loved so much had damaged the beautiful old Dogwood. I was heartbroken once again.

Summer moved into Fall. Fall moved into Winter. The Holidays were upon us. One evening as I rounded the bend of that busy street, I was breathless! There it was, lit with all it's previous glory. I noticed the owners removed the dead branches but re-lit the tree. God Bless us every one! It is a Chanumas Miracle!

I decided that this year, I MUST photograph that tree. I knew I would never capture its true glory. It would take a camera much better than mine with a nice tripod. But I didn't want to disturb the owners with a big to-do. I had Mr. I drop me off at the house (like I said...it is a very busy street. There are no sidewalks. Danger lurks with every car that speeds by) so that I could quickly shoot the tree. As I suspected, I couldn't capture the grandeur of the tree. So today, since I'm a Holiday Hermit, I turned it into a dream.

I wanted to thank the owners of that cute little house for taking the time and effort to re-light the tree. It just goes to show you that one action can affect many people and bring them much joy. I'm sure no one tells those homeowners just how much they enjoy their tree. So, I'm doing it now. Thank You! I would leave a note of appreciation or a card in your mailbox, but the speeding traffic and impatient drivers prevent this thoughtful act. Please take this as my heartfelt thanks for lighting your beautiful tree. You make my Holiday EVERY year. And welcome to the neighborhood!

No comments: