Sunday, December 27, 2009

"Nine"- The movie with no soul


Yes, I said that. The performances were wonderful. The dancing beautiful. The costumes were exquisite. The singing was grand. Then why did I walk out of the theater thinking, I didn't watch another energetic "Chicago"...I just saw another "All That Jazz" which was just as narcissistic and bizarre.

I didn't hate "Nine", I just left feeling disappointed. I'm always amazed when a movie is well executed, but yet it seems hollow. I believe that boils down to the screenplay and the script. Writing is everything. But yet that was a theme running through this film...no script, make a movie by the seat of the pants. But it missed some unwritten mark.

I read somewhere about this movie that it was based on Fellini's "8 1/2". Ok, fair enough. I was never a big fan of Fellini's movies. However, I saw many of them so long ago I should probably revisit them. I do appreciate that he gave us the word "paparazzi". Even though the direct definition is closer to "buzzing insect", that is pretty close to what those people do for a living. So I'll give him that. But somehow I think Mr. Fellini was just as narcissistic as the character of Guido in "Nine". But is that worth even the $14 of matinee priced ticket?

I have really basic needs of a movie. If I'm going to deal with the lines, the price and the talking of other patrons, I want to be not only entertained...I want to forget that I have to pee. Make me forget that I should have gone to the bathroom during the previews. Make me and my bladder so entertained that I have no need to move. So if I'm judging this one based on that, then I didn't get up to pee...but I could have an wouldn't have missed a thing.

And there you go.

No comments: